Friday, March 11, 2011

House of Beehives







My new project is based on a short story by Italo Calvino, House of Beehives. I am challenging myself with a darker story this time around. It's about a traumatized man who fled WWII and became a hermit. He resides among bees and suffers the consequences of losing his last human relationship. Eligio, the antihero wears a gas mask, layers of brambles and travels with bees to distance himself from humans and look less human. Cinzia, his love interest eventually dies from an attack of bees. I decided to go with the crowlike shape for him because he is an outcast and felt that a poppy shape would be appropriate for her since bees are attracted to flowers. My goal is to tell a horror story in a poetic flat manner. I am looking at Hitchcock's The Birds and Charlie Harper.

6 comments:

Stuart said...

New project looks awesome. I like how you use the eraser so much to carve out your shapes.

Do you use a lot of custom brushes in Photoshop? Do you make them yourself?

Priscilla Wong said...

Thanks Stuart! Just trying to keep it simple so my ideas are clear.

I only really use about 2 brushes. One is a square shape that mimics marks of a flat brush and one with super soft edges for gradients.

Stevie said...

lovely concept drawings!! :)

Priscilla Wong said...

Thanks Stevie! Can't wait to work with you soon! :)

Eastwood said...

these are all so lovely! i adore them!

Priscilla Wong said...

Thanks Eastwood! :)